Yes, let’s say it clearly:
There are plenty of sports you can practice without even saying “surf”. The fact that Tamarindo, Avellanas, or Playa Negra are considered surfer’s dream locations don’t necessarily mean you can only surf there. Especially, if we are speaking about sports so, let’s find out what you can do!
Of course, if you don’t want to surf but you still love the ocean, there’s plenty of water sports to do:
1. KAYAK is the perfect sport to keep fit and at the same time enjoy the landscape, plus it can be practised alone or with the family.
2. SCUBA DIVING Yes you can dive here. This will be the most unique and amazing experience you will have. In fact, the tropical climate and the efforts made by the country for protecting its natural resources will lead you to discover an undersea world of extraordinary beauty.
3. FISHING Costa Rica has to offer a great diversity of marine fauna which is perfect for sport fishing. This area in particular, is ideal to enjoy fishing all year long, so if you want to go for a Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Roosterfish, Red Snapper, Mahi Mahi, or any of the other game fish this is the perfect place to catch them!
4. PADDLEBOARD This is a great alternative to surf and it can be done by everyone. Literally, every single person can try it and have fun, which doesn’t mean that is easy, it’s just a bit calmer.
But if you are a non-water person, do not despare. You can always visit these wonderful places and practice sports without even touching the water, and keep the ocean and waves just for your photos and memories!
5. BIKING Sometimes the lack of infrastructure can have its positive sides. There are miles and miles of paths and trails in the plains and in the mountains, in the towns, and in the middle of the jungle that are waiting for all of you biking enthusiasts.
6. GOLF Hacienda Pinilla and Reserva Conchal are the most famous golf courses here at the beach in Costa Rica. Imagine teeing off while surrounded by a lush rainforest where monkeys are watching you and other wild animal cross the course. It is a surreal experience for most any golfer.
7. ATV Let’s add a bit of adrenaline to your vacation! Four wheel quadricycles guarantee an exhilarating experience while exploring the mountains, rivers, or beaches. Costa Rica’s ideal terrain give you the chance to practice it as a sport, take a tour or, if you are brave enough, rent it as main transport throughout your vacation.
8. HORSEBACK RIDING Horses, horses everywhere! This is a must do, you can’t leave without riding a horse through the mountains, the jungle, or ending up at the beach during one of the most beautiful sunsets the planet has to offer.
9. ZIP LINING is another must have and must do. You don’t say Costa Rica if you don’t try the zip line. If you wanna play hard you have to travel a bit and try the Monteverde zip line. However, if you wanna just give it a try, the tours around these beaches are pretty light and are guaranteed to give youo the rush you expected.
10.DRESSAGE Who would have thought to find a dressage structure here in the wild Guanacaste! Well, in Playa Negra there are three professional and fully equipped courts to keep training if you already are into this world. You can also get great instruction from one of the many professional teachers in the area.